About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Visit to the Apple Orchard/Pumpkin Patch and A Missing Tooth!

It's been exciting around here the last two weeks, especially while Rob was gone to California.  He missed a lot of cool stuff.  There is a really awesome apple orchard/pumpkin patch in the area that I've been wanting to go to.  Rex went with his preschool class last year.  It is kind of expensive and more so on the weekends so I decided to take Wyatt one day while Rex was at school.  This is a balancing of the scales, as Rex got to go last year while Wyatt and I stayed home.  At least, that's what I tell myself so I don't feel bad that Rex missed out.

I couldn't believe how much there was to do there- I allowed about 3 hours for the driving and time there and that wasn't really enough.  We could've used another hour.  Here are some pictures of our time there.

At the sign by the entrance:


Running around the farm:

Bouncing on the jumping pillow:

They set up a bunch of hay bales in a ring and dumped corn kernels in so you could jump and play and make corn angels (the autumn version of snow angels):

Pumping water to make the little rubber duckies float down the "river" at the duck races:

Finally, the reason we could've used another hour- the hay ride:


The hayride takes 20-30 minutes and we were running out of time.  I thought it was just a quick little cruise but it turns out you buy a bag to take with you so you can pick your own apples and they also stop to pick your own pumpkin.  All that picking takes a while and I hadn't purchased a bag for the apple picking so it was best to just skip it that time.  So we got back down off the hayride and grabbed an already-picked pumpkin.  We also grabbed some fresh apple cider, apple cider doughnuts, a caramel apple and then a jar each of apple butter and pumpkin butter.  I'm a sucker for those little farm stores, what can I say.  By the way, we took all that home- all we ate there was one doughnut each.  We had such a great time and honestly, I think if I was to ever run my own business, I would want to have a farm like this.  Wyatt was ready to move in too.

I took a picture of the boys with our pumpkin the next day, mainly to capture Rex's big news- he lost his first tooth!



The tooth came out at school and was, unfortunately, lost on the playground during recess.  Rex said it came loose and he was afraid he would choke on it so he just spit it out on the ground.  In my mind, I see it all happening where he just spits it out and keeps on playing and he never even thinks about picking it up or that he should save it.  We drew a little picture and wrote the tooth fairy a letter explaining what happened and where she could find the tooth.  Luckily, she was very understanding and left Rex some money and a letter for him.  It was all very exciting!

And if you noticed how stylish my youngest son is in that picture above, here is a full body shot so you can see just how good the guy looks.


It takes a certain personality to rock the Converse lizard shoes, striped beanie and orange sunglasses but it totally works for Wyatt.  It is so much fun to dress him because he can make anything
work and look good.  He just has that attitude.  For instance, this was his pose he did when I asked if I could take his picture- he sat down on the ground and looked up at me just like this.  Rex is pretty stylish too, but he is more of a traditional, preppy type.  He does love to sport the hats when he can- here is his blue Kangol-style cap.


 I love having boys.  They are so much fun.  I'm headed to California on Friday for a long weekend visit with two of my best friends and I can't wait.  I'm really looking forward to it even though I will miss all my dudes here.  Hopefully I won't miss out on any of their big life events while I am gone!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio