About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Monday, February 19, 2007

The Big Move - Part I

Welcome to Rob and Shelby's blog! We are a newly married couple who in 17 days have gotten married, traveled to Aruba and back for our honeymoon, packed up all our possessions and drove from Fresno, California to a smallish-town in Iowa where we now live. Here we are in warmer times on our honeymoon in Aruba.



The name of the blog was inspired by the total distance we drove during our move from California to Iowa. Although Rob will be a contributor and post occassionally, the blog will be written mainly by Shelby. So now, that you know a little what we're about and how this will work, let me get on to our first story...

After packing up the moving truck and my car and having one last dinner with Rob's family, Rob and I left Fresno, CA on Wednesday night, February 14th. We made it all the way to Visalia where we stayed the night with my family- that's only about an hour's drive but our bed was packed so we had to stay somewhere! We left early the next morning and made it to Flagstaff, Arizona by Thursday night. Thursday's drive went pretty good but we learned a valuable lesson that cost us an hour's worth of driving time. Here's the lesson: When driving through the middle of nowhere, it is a good idea to stop and get diesel wherever you can because the next gas station may not have any. We had to double back and drive an extra 55 miles or so to fill up the moving truck with diesel. Flagstaff was beautiful- there was snow on the ground and it was a little cold, but very pretty. The next day we hit the road for Amarillo, Texas which I will post more about later.

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures. And I miss you already. :(

Rachel said...

Hey Shooter! I love the blog! I'm so glad you made it to Ames safely. Lucy says "hi" and we all miss you guys!
Love,
Trixie

Anonymous said...

55 miles?? Whoa! Hope everything is going well out there. You still have your keys, right? Hows the unpacking going?

By the way, Nick came by work last week and is looking good.

Jonnyb

stinkypaw said...

Welcome to Blogland! Hope you'll enjoy it!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio