About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Monday, December 3, 2007

Weekend at the North Pole

This is Rob for a change:

This just in...we are living in a Christmas movie. A "Hallmark Family Christmas Special" right here at the house. This past weekend, we bought a tree and hauled it home. There really is something special about decorating a tree with the snow falling outside.

After the sun came out for a while on Sunday afternoon, I took a few shots in the backyard of tracks in the snow left by some of the wildlife.

While I know that this may get old after a while, I was really having fun shoveling the sidewalks and driveway. In Iowa, shoveling snow is the wintertime equivalent to keeping your lawn in top shape during the summer. Let me elaborate on that. It is not the task at hand so much as it is an important topic of conversation in the neighborhood. So there I am, out there with John (from next door) assessing the situation like we are about to perform surgery. When to shovel, what kind of shovel to use for different conditions, salt/no salt, and how much snow you think is coming the next week. I know that this sound silly, but there is kind of an art to it. Shovel too early and you are out there twice. Too late (with the extremely cold temperatures we had last night) and you have 3" of ice that is not going anywhere for a long time. The discussion carried over at work this morning as well. "Well Rob, did you need ice skates on your front porch this morning?" I was happy to hand out a few witty (read smart ass) comments back at them when I let them know that even former Californians know how (and more importantly when) to shovel.

No need to tell them just yet about the neighborhood Snow Shoveling Forum.

Until next time

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm! I thought shovels had straight handles. Did yours tangle with too much of that 3-inch ice? Love Ya....El Kabong

Rachel said...

As your sister, I can honestly say you've done plenty of "shoveling" in your lifetime...not just snow.

Nanette said...

I looooove that you participate on this blog, Rob! I'm going to have to get my hubby to do the same.

BTW, I'm at a work event and met someone who reminds me of you!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio