About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snow White and the Seven Below


Okay, so it was actually 11.5 below but who's keeping track? Man is it cold here- and really snowy. It started snowing sometime Sunday night or really early Monday morning and kept up until sometime in the night last night- so at least for 24 hours. Thankfully it was during a holiday weekend so we just hung out at the house all weekend and limited our trips out. During the last week or 10 days we had some of our first below zero weather here and it is not pleasant, especially when you add in the wind chill on top of that. Every Saturday morning we either go to the gym or go out to breakfast but the last two Saturdays have been so cold (-11 one morning and not much better for the other) that we just stayed in and made our own breakfast. I drove to work all last week but today I decided to play it safe and take the bus. They both have their downsides- I’m either freezing cold walking to and from bus stops or I’m risking crashing the car. It’s free to warm up while an accident could be rather pricey so I’m better off taking the bus, I think. Thursday and on are looking better but today and tomorrow are still pretty yucky.

We did make it out to the grocery store on Saturday to pick up enough goods to get us through the weekend. After going to the grocery store, we decided to go by Hollywood Video and rent a movie. We had a quick moment where we started to talk about “Well, what will we do with the groceries while we go in the movie store?” That’s a valid concern back in California- you wouldn’t want to do that there. Then I pointed out that the groceries would probably warm up once moved from the car into the refrigerator so it would probably be fine to leave them in the car while we picked a movie. We ended up getting Rush Hour 3. We had both seen the first two many times and I felt like I needed to see this one too. I laughed quite a bit and there were a lot of good action scenes in it but the story was, not surprisingly, weak. Still, I was not expecting the movie to end because it seemed like nothing was being done to advance the plot and then all of a sudden it was like “They did it!” and the movie was done. We were entertained for a while though so I have no complaints.

Our main task this weekend was some major furniture rearrangement in the house. When we moved in, we decided to make one of the bedrooms a “media room”- it had the computer, tv and stereo equipment in it. I was starting to get irritated with the arrangement because it was rather crowded and we spent nearly all our waking hours in that room. We recently hooked up the Playstation and Nintendo which made it even worse because I couldn’t get past Rob when he was playing games- I either wanted to get to the computer and couldn’t or I was trapped at it. And finally, we have a very nice, big living room that was getting very little use. I finally convinced Rob that the tv and stereo equipment needed to go out in the living room and the media room needed to just be the office with the computer. Since we had so much time at home this weekend, we moved all the stuff around and got it how I wanted it. Although he had been resistant at first, he admitted that it was much nicer the way it is now. It is so nice to be out in the world again and have some room to move around instead of being stuck in a little tiny room!

The living room now:



The office- we actually have room to work on the computer and it's not jammed in a closet anymore!

1 comments:

Nanette said...

I love this post title. Stay warm!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio