About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Easter and Everything Else

We had a nice Easter last weekend- I meant to put this picture up last Sunday but oops, I forgot. So here it is now.



Although there was plenty of candy in his basket, only the book was for him. Rob took most of the candy to work and I kept a little stash for myself. I intended to buy him a couple more books but ran out of time. Thankfully, he doesn't know that mommy screwed up. I think the new book was mainly for me because I have most of his books memorized at this point and I needed something new in the mix. He probably appreciates it too.

Rex was 10 months old yesterday- Wow. It seems even crazier when I realized that his first birthday is in just two months! We're not going to do a big party because big crowds in his house kind of freak him out (as I learned when I hosted Bunco). Also, with the economy the way it is and us living on one income, I don't really see the point of spending a bunch of money on something he won't remember or even care about. Finally we don't have any family in the area so there really aren't a lot of people to celebrate with. I'm pretty sure Rob's parents will be here for the occasion so we'll celebrate with them here at home. We have friends I could invite but again, Rex is not a big fan of having lots of people in his house. I understand that lots of parents have big parties and I think that's just fine for them. It just doesn't make a lot of sense in our situation. I'll get him a little cake to thrash and we'll have a good time.

Rex got a little haircut last week. Rob and I did it ourselves and it took both of us so I have no pictures of the event. It was growing down over his ears and the hair right in front was also getting way too long. He had some crazy long hairs growing out of the top of his head that we trimmed up too. I almost cried because babies don't get haircuts, big boys do. He's growing up too fast. But his hair looks a lot better now so I'm glad we trimmed it up.

I have been busy designing plans for our backyard. Specifically there is one very large bed area that doesn't have much planted in it. It's a wonderful sunny part of the yard and I have been really anxious to get some plants in the ground. I picked out a Double Delight hybrid tea rose and we planted that yesterday. I have picked up a few magazines recently for backyard design and with the new book Rob got me for my birthday, I have been on a roll. I have also gotten several seed packets of different varieties and have even started some seeds already.



Rob has been planning on taking some time off this week and we thought we would take a roadtrip somewhere. However, we decided to stay home and work in the yard instead (mainly because it's kind of tough to travel with Rex at this point- when he can eat food from a restaurant, our lives will get so much easier). I have my list of plants to buy at the nursery and my budget all made out. Hopefully this is the last time you will see a picture of our backyard looking like this!

3 comments:

Nanette said...

Rex had a very nice Easter bunny. :)

I haven't decided what we're doing for Em's 1st birthday yet. I totally agree that it's not something they'll remember anyway so it's silly to spend a ton of money and time on it, and it's typically more for the parents than the kid anyway. It might be more of a casual BBQ at the grandparents' or something, but somewhat big as there are still quite a few local friends who haven't met her yet - or have met her but are demanding to spend more time with her, as the case may be. ;)

Nanette said...

Oh, but having said the above, I will say that I have enjoyed the 1st birthday parties that have gone all out. That's probably just not the route for us. Heh.

Rachel said...

Birthday party suggestions.
For Rex: cake
For Mommy: a massage, manicure and pedicure
For Daddy: a beer

A relaxing and fun time for all :-)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio