About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Friday, November 4, 2011

Family Room Update and Basemp Picnic

As usual, there has been a lot of home improvement going on around our house.  Last weekend Rob got the fireplace in its spot.  Sorry for the crappy photos- my camera is still stuck on movie mode so all I have to work with for now is my phone on my camera.

Fireplace

There was a little hiccup with the fireplace installation because it turned out the opening was just a tad too small.  When Rob measured the fireplace insert, he didn't include the little bun feet that it sits on.  Oops.  It was a quick fix though so that was lucky.  We've run the fireplace out there a few times and it is amazing how well it heats up that space.  I am pretty impressed with it.  He also got the windows all trimmed out.  I only got a picture of the one but the other one looks just the same as this.

Window Trim

We were both impressed at how good the windows look at all finished up.  We took three in-stock windows off the shelf at Menards and just made them fit our space.  Rob did such an awesome job with it- both the framing of it and the trim.  I don't know how he got everything to fit the space so good when nothing was custom made or ordered and it had to fit the existing openings.  I think he is done with all the baseboard and trim nail-hole-filling and caulking and it is ready for paint now.  I can't wait for that to be done so I can get started on laying out the carpet tiles.  I am really anxious to see how they will look.

Rob took a short break to mow the lawns this weekend.  Rex must have known that Daddy needed to get back to his other projects so he decided to lend a hand.

Mowing the Lawn Twice As Fast

The boys and I were out on a little shopping excursion yesterday morning and ended up at K-Mart where we found a little kids' picnic table on clearance.  I thought it would be fun in the basement (or basemp as Rex calls it) for the winter and, of course, in the backyard for the summer.  I'm trying to get the basement a little more fun for the winter so they can play down there more.  I'm going to put their playhouse down there and I could just see it all set up with the playhouse, the Little Tikes BBQ and the picnic table all set up.  Rex and I tested out the table yesterday at lunchtime.



It was pretty fun but the cable guy came to FINALLY replace our crappy cable box so picnic time got cut a little short.  I have one more project idea for playtime in the basement that I am going to get working on pretty soon here.  I have seen a lot of kids' play kitchens that are repurposed from old entertainment centers and I think it is so neat and such a good idea.  I didn't really want to build the boys a play kitchen though (even though boys can be chefs- Rex cooks and bakes with me all the time) and then yesterday I came up with the idea to turn one of those old entertainment centers into a workbench play area.  They love tools and I think this would be a lot more fun for them than a kitchen.  Everyone is getting new tv's that require a different style entertainment center so I am hopeful that I can get one of the old ones for free.  I keep looking on craigslist and people want anywhere from $20 to $150 for them.  People are so crazy with their prices on craigslist sometimes- do you really think someone is going to give you $150 for your ancient entertainment center that only fits an ancient tv?  Please.  Anyhow, I'll keep looking and I know I may have to break down and give someone a few bucks for one.  I'll be sure to post the project on here when I get to it.

1 comments:

Nanette said...

Love the updates and the great little table!

I'm excited that I got to see your place before the remodeling. That'll make me even MORE impressed when I see them in-person next time!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio