About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Cabinet Debacle

The tile floor in the entryway, kitchen and back hallway was all finished up last Thursday and here is what it looks like:



We are so happy with it and think it looks just wonderful. We're also glad we spent the extra money to get the tile floor because it just looks so nice and will last forever. We need to seal the grout on Monday and make sure we do that every 3-5 years to keep it looking good. Next step is the cabinets which we thought would be delivered by now. However, I just discovered a major screw-up with my order from IKEA and it never got placed and they never called to tell me that they were not going to place it or to discuss the issue. I don't really have anywhere else to go for a comparable product so I'm stuck waiting another 2-3 weeks for the cabinets. Just a helpful hint for everyone- make sure your phone number matches up with the phone number your credit card company has because some retailers use that for verification in addition to your address. Ugh- so disgusted.

This weekend we've been working very hard to get everything painted so we can move in next weekend. We got primer up in the living room and entry last night and painted two of the bedrooms and the hallway today. The bedrooms and hall were already white (thanks to some primering I had done a few weeks ago) and we only did one coat but I think that's going to be all we need. We'll check it out when we go over tomorrow and see what we think but so far we think maybe just a few touch-ups and we're done with those areas. The color of those are "Churchill Hotel Vanilla" which looks white if you just walked in and could not compare the color to an actual white. But it's a little more warm and creamy and looks like, well, vanilla. We'll be painting the entryway and formal dining/living room a color called "Homestead Resort Parlor Taupe" which is basically just taupe. It's a nice, really light tan color and we'll be painting the ceilings that color too. Rob originally wanted white ceilings. I don't really like that and neither of us wanted to cut in along the ceiling or tape all that off. So we compromised and picked out the two really light colors so Rob could have the lighter ceiling he likes without the hassle. We're very happy with the decisions we've made about colors and how to paint it all. It's looking great and it just feels wonderful to have it feel more now like our house and be how we like it. If you remember, the living and entryway used to be a peach color and you can see them below with just the primer on. It is amazing how much it brightened them up by doing that, especially the entry which used to feel so dark and yucky when it had peach walls and dark red tile. We'll be sure to put up more pictures after the painting is all done so you can see the finished product.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelby,

Your house is looking nice. I do like the colors...and the wood floors.

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio