About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Thursday, February 7, 2008

“It’s so cold!”



We must have heard that statement from at least 5 different family members or friends while we were out in California for the past few days and they just don’t know what cold is. Here is all our family out at dinner one night- don't we look like we're freezing?? If you are still looking at green grass in your yard, it’s not cold. This trip was the first time I’ve seen that since November! I can understand though- I used to think it was “cold” when I went outside and the temperature was in the 40s. Our perspective has changed quite a bit though now and we totally enjoyed the weather while we were in California, even when it dipped all the way down into the 40s at night. We returned to Iowa to find that it had snowed more while we were gone. It was also pretty icy on Monday, so I hear, but all of that seems to be gone by now. Just in case you want to hear about actual cold weather, it is 18 degrees here right now with a 30% chance of snow and our high for the day is 30 degrees. Tomorrow looks about the same and then it looks like it will get colder for the weekend. Yikes. Only 6 days until we leave for Florida!

We had a great time visiting with friends and family while we were in California. We even spent some time in Carmel last Friday and Saturday celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary and that was really awesome. That’s kind of a lame word I suppose, but it’s the best one I can think of to describe that “Wow-I’ve-been-married-for-a-whole-year” feeling that I have. It’s so wonderful! We stayed at the same hotel where we stayed when we got married and we also went to the same restaurant where we all ate for the wedding. I would like to highly, highly recommend both places- Tradewinds Inn and Little Napoli. I have been to the Monterey Peninsula soooo many times in my life and can tell you that these are two of the best places there. We walked down to the beach and took some pictures right in the same spot that we had our ceremony last year and stuck our hands in the ocean. I’m trying to have a better appreciation for the ocean now that I live far away from it. It’s so amazing and I don’t think I ever realized that enough or enjoyed it enough when it was close- the same goes for the mountains. The weather was actually very nice while we were there- we hit it just right because it had been raining and started again once we left.



On Sunday, I attended a baby shower for my sister who is due with my niece in only 11 more days! I got to see a lot of people there that I haven’t seen in a while which was great. Nanette also drove up to the area to attend and brought yummy treats with her.




Nanette and I hung out for the rest of the day while Rob spent some time with his friends and watched the Super Bowl with the boys. The rest of the time was just spent with friends and family, mostly doing a lot of eating. Yay for In-N-Out Burger and George’s Shish Kebab and Mexican Food from California!! We put about 700 miles on the car by the time we returned it Wednesday morning but we got to see everyone and eat everything and do everything that we had set out to do in our time there.

One of the best parts was being able to share the latest baby news in person with everyone- the news that we are having a boy! We felt pretty strongly that it was a boy and the ultrasound confirmed it last Thursday. It wasn’t that we preferred a boy because either was fine (really, it was!) but we just really, really thought it would be a boy. We got pictures and a DVD from the ultrasound to take with us and share with everyone. I packed an empty duffle bag in my suitcase and we came back with it full of stuff- some new things for me but I think this little guy has a wardrobe almost as big as mine already. It was so wonderful to see everyone and I can't wait for the next trip. I'll leave off with a picture of Uncle Rob reading a book with our niece. It's just too cute not to share. He's going to be such a great dad!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio