About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Potpourri (Like on Jeopardy)

There are so many things to share since I've been sick and haven't posted anything for so long! I am doing much better now and have been back at work all week, like a regular person. I ended up working one and a half days last week but we really should call it what it was- I was just there taking up space. I would not say I was productive, just a warm body in a seat. There is still some coughing and nose-blowing going on but I am feeling pretty good now.

For my first story, I need to go back almost 2 weeks to Friday, March 14th. Rob and I love to eat at little mom-and-pop, hole-in-the-wall kinds of places so some friends of ours took us to one in Conrad, IA that was called That Place. Seriously, it was. It actually wasn't quite in town, it was out in the country and it was the saddest looking concrete block building. Definitely not an attractive place but the parking lot was completely full and people were parking out along the road so that was a good sign. We went inside and discovered that you really needed reservations to eat here on a Friday night. We wouldn't be able to get a table for 2 hours! No one was in the bar so we ended up sitting in there and eating our dinner there which was fine. The food was really good but I thought I would die laughing when they brought out the salad. Here it is:



It was a bowl of iceberg lettuce with cheese and fritos on top! What in the world?! I have never seen fritos on a salad before but it actually tasted pretty good. Not very healthy, but pretty good. I ordered one of the specials for the night, the chicken kebabs, and their prize-winning peanut butter and chocolate ice cream pie. Again, not a very healthy meal but it tasted great. I'm sure we'll go back but we'll make sure we have reservations next time.

Last week I was sick so it was pretty uneventful- this past weekend was too. Rob worked around the house on Saturday while I rested and watched tv. For Easter Sunday, I was feeling a little better but then Rob had a fever that day (he's good now). I did manage to cook us an Easter meal of sloppy joes, tater tots and peas. There's a good first-Easter-in-our-house memory for the rest of our lives! My sister and her family sent us some beautiful tulips for Easter which was such a wonderful surprise and really cheered me up.



I thought I had the perfect due date with June 26th (good weather, no birthday close to Christmas, etc) but I have uncovered a problem with it. Everyone goes on tour during the summer and I'm going to miss out on two concerts (so far) I really want to see. Grr!! The first one I found out about was Jack Johnson. I would just love to see him because I am such a big fan. I enjoy mellow music and his is my favorite. Then today I just saw that George Michael is going on tour this summer. I don't know if I really love, or even know, any of his newer stuff but how fun would it be to see George Michael? I'm sure it's quite a show. Hopefully I will get another chance to see Jack and maybe even George in the next couple of years.

Speaking of baby stuff, I get many requests for a photo of me to see how my baby bump is doing. I only have one week left in my second trimester so it's starting to get kind of big. I had Rob take a quick picture of me this morning and it is not the best picture I've ever taken but I'm going to share it anyhow. I feel I need to explain the goofy look on my face first thought- the battery died right when the camera was going off and I wasn't sure that it was even taking the picture. You can also see the four new picture frames that Rob hung in our living room. We have a picture of the Blossom Trail to represent the Central Valley where we're from, one of the beach where we got married and one of a bridge and corn field in northeastern Iowa. There's still one frame without a picture because we're trying to decide what the last photo of the set should be. Anyhow, here it is!

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Glad you're feeling better!

That salad sounds/looks crazy! Glad it was ok.

Your bump is so cute! More pics! More pics!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelby...congrats on the pregnancy by the way. I usually don't comment I just read but I was thinking about your 4 picture frames...how about something from the Kings or Sequoia National Parks, that might fit with your theme, just a thought.

Talk with ya later,
Andrea (Nanette's friend from VA)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio