About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Monday, January 24, 2011

Things I've Learned About Snow

I've learned a lot since this picture was taken (our first weekend in Iowa in 2007)-



Now that I think about it, I learned a lot that weekend about snow and winter weather. I didn't know there was such thing as freezing rain but I found out fast. The craziest weather I have seen so far was "thundersnow" where it was snowing AND had thunder with it. I think that has only happened once so it is pretty rare. Even the snow itself can be very different depending on how wet or dry it is. Try making a snowman with dry snow- you'll be there all day because that stuff doesn't stick together at all.

Driving in the snow was the thing that concerned me the most about moving to Iowa. I pictured that every day would be like that Bridgestone commercial.



It's not like that at all. I mean, it does happen sometimes but we just don't drive when it's bad like that. The plows come through quickly to clear the snow and the main roads are fine in no time. Residential roads and ones with less traffic take a little longer to get rid of all the snow but that is okay because there aren't that many cars on those streets so if you struggle a little, it isn't a big deal. When a snowstorm is coming, you plan ahead for groceries and things like that so you don't have to go out. If you do have to go out, take the bus. Let them crash. Speaking of crash, you have to just prepare yourself for falling on your butt. It will happen. It gets pretty slick and icy out there and everyone will be on their butt at some point. It hasn't happened to me yet but I think God's been looking out for me since I've been pregnant or carrying small children around most of the time. Rob's wadded it up a time or two though and I am sure my time is coming.

The thing I think about first though when I think about snow is how beautiful and peaceful it is after a snowstorm passes through. I love the snow before anyone has walked or driven through it, before the snowplows have come through- the snow just sparkles when you look at it and it is amazing to see. It truly looks like there are diamonds all in it. The snow blankets all the houses, trees and everything in white and no one is out driving around so it is just so quiet. Even a boring, ugly chain-link fence looks pretty when there is snow on it.



I still look forward to spring and summer but I'm learning that winter is a pretty special time too.
 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio