About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Monday, March 14, 2011

Home Improvement

Rob has hated the kitchen paint color for a long time now and this past week, he decided he was going to do something about it. I liked the color but I have to admit, it was pretty dark.



First we were going to paint it green. A search began for the perfect green, not too minty and not too yellow-y either. As I finally got it narrowed down to two choices, Rob tells me he doesn't want green after all. He wants cream with white trim. So we had a big discussion about design choices in general and what our style is. We both complain a lot about our house not having any color but realized we love the Pottery Barn look which doesn't use a lot of color. A neutral look with a little hit of color here and there is what we like. Now that we had that figured out, it was time to pick the right cream and white color. Back to Lowe's and Ace for more paint sample cards. Finally, we decided to go with Valspar Churchill Hotel Vanilla which is what all our bedrooms are painted. On one hand, I felt like we were stuck and not branching out but on the other hand, I felt like we knew what we were getting and we are keeping a continuous look. The house I owned when I was single looked like a box of crayons, with every room a different color, and it did bother me a little that I didn't have a cohesive look. I'm trying to make it a point this time around to make sure the house looks like it has one personality instead of 20. We picked up the paint and supplies Friday night and Rob got to work on Saturday. I was taking care of the boys while Rob painted so I wasn't much help. Rob got all the taping and prep work and primer done Saturday and then got the color on the walls and ceiling yesterday. It is so bright and lovely in our kitchen now!



As you can see, there is still a little work to be done. The trim all got primed but still needs to be painted (we chose Valspar Swiss Coffee for that). It's really nice to have a kitchen I can work in again though- we ate out too much this weekend. In fact, Rob made it a point to wrap things up early enough last night so we could make our own dinner. We have a kitchen table issue that we are having a hard time resolving. Our little table we used to have can't fit the 4 of us so we have this temporary one set up for now while we try to find one we like and that will fit okay. I think a trip to Ikea may be in our future!

Rob had a little home improvement project last weekend too- he got a new toilet for the main bath and installed it. Not a very sexy project or my favorite way to spend money, but it sure is nice to have that done. I didn't take any pictures of that project because it's a toilet. It's shiny and white but I still didn't feel like I want to put a picture up of our new toilet. I did my own little home improvement project yesterday in Wyatt's room and put up the giraffe and tree wall decals I bought months ago. I was afraid they wouldn't stick to our walls- I had that problem with the ones in Rex's room. These were a different brand and seem to be doing fine. Wyatt is asleep now so I can't in there to take pictures of his room. I also bought curtains for our little rooster's room (he's been waking up so early lately!). I will try to get a picture once the curtains are hung and everything is looking good. Hopefully the curtains will help block out the light and he will start sleeping later. The time change seems to have helped with that too. Anyhow, that's what we have been doing lately. Now that it is warming up, I am sure there will be a lot more projects, indoors and outdoors, going on at our house.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great color choice. Your husband is smart

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio