About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Cabinets are hung!

I know the postings were pretty scarce last week and now you can finally see why. We got kitchen cabinets up on the wall!




We did have our all-American fun but we worked a bunch too! We finished painting on Wednesday (on our day off- yuck) and put the last two cabinets together. Saturday, Rob was patching the walls from some holes the electricians left us with (thanks guys) so we could get the cabinets going. We got them up on the wall pretty easily on Saturday with the exception of the microwave cabinet. It turned out I ordered the type of cabinet that does not work if you have a fan on the bottom of your microwave, like we do. So on Sunday, Rob cut it down and was able to make it work. One thing that we discovered that will not work, however, is all the doors and drawer fronts. We knew the cabinet frames would be lighter than the doors and drawers and that we would have to put end panels on exposed cabinet ends. I thought the cover panels would be either veneer sticker sheet things or really, really thin sheets of veneer. Turns out they are 1/2 inch thick, heavy duty pieces of wood and by being so thick, it throws off our measurements to where the cabinets don't really work anymore. We decided the best option, since all the doors and drawer fronts are still boxed up, would be to go to the nearest IKEA (approx. 200 miles away) and try to swap them for ones that match the lighter color of cabinets that the frames are. We like the color of the cabinet frames so this really wasn't too big of a deal. I called IKEA to make sure we could do this and wouldn't be charged any fees and was told it would be fine. It looks like we'll be taking a weekend excursion up to Minneapolis this weekend to switch our stuff but we were planning on going anyhow to pick up light fixtures and a few other things so it's not so bad. For now though, we have been working on installing baseboard in the kitchen and Rob had to do a little work to patch the walls as I mentioned earlier. Once we get those couple of chores done, we will be ready to start putting in the base cabinets. I will put up some pictures as soon as we get them in- I think we are getting really close now to having a working kitchen!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio