About 2054 Miles

In February 2007, my husband and I packed up all our belongings, drove 2054 miles and moved from California to Iowa. This blog is about my and my husband's adventures, which mainly now feature our two boys- 5 year old Rex and 3 year old Wyatt.

About Me

My Photo
Shelby
Iowa, United States
I have a wonderful husband and two awesome little boys. I love being able to stay home with them and am always trying to do something to our house.
View my complete profile

I Love Comments!

Please feel free to leave a comment on my blog- I love to read them. We do try to keep some things private though so please don't use our last name or where we work and live in your comment. Thanks!

Donate Blood

Donate Blood

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Do-overs

Our kitchen remodel seemed to be going rather well- the walls were painted and we had some of the cabinets up and we were just starting to work on installing baseboard. The base cabinets would have followed and then our appliances and we would have been done. And then we realized we had a problem with the paint. It was 10 days after we had finished painting and you could easily scratch the paint off the walls with your fingernail. It seemed it would just not set up and cure. The next problem was that we had decided on white trim which meant the existing original mahogany window and door trim was going to be painted over. We both had a problem with painting over the beautiful wood trim. Then I finally admitted I did not like the green paint. So now we were pretty much back to square one. We took the cabinets down and did a ton of research to find out what to do about the crappy paint that was on the walls and how to cover it up. We had a picked a fairly dark brown (it looks like melted chocolate ice cream) so covering the color wasn't an issue. Finally, we decided to just paint right onto the paint- with Valspar paint this time. I am certain that the Olympic paint (that I complained about originally) was a big reason we had so many problems. I was not happy with the paint when we were applying it and it was awful once we were done. But now, we have a beautiful brown kitchen that will match our new cabinets, new appliances and existing trim wonderfully.



And best of all, it seems to be staying on the walls without any issues. After just a few hours of drying, it is like iron. You can't scratch or gouge it. I love it and Rob is warming up to the color too. He was the one who wanted to go bold and now is having a hard time with it. With the lighter cabinets and floors, I think it's a great choice and am very pleased with how it turned out. And now we can get on with base boards, installing cabinets again and hooking up our appliances.

1 comments:

Nanette said...

Doh! Well, I love the new color. And now I know who to go to when we have paint issues.

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio